Matangi Island – Resort Diving- Fiji Islands
Matangi Island Resort – Fiji Diving
Many dive experts consider the northern area of Fiji to be some of the best diving in the world. Matangi Island Resort is located in the middle of it all!
Diving at Matangi Island Resort is effortless. Most of Matangi’s dive sites are within 20 minutes of the island by boat. The currents that predominate in this region are what supply the nutrients to the exquisite soft corals for which the north of Fiji is famous.
Matangi’s experienced dive staff picks the day’s dive sites based on the tidal flow.
Diving a site at the wrong side of the tidal change will mean that the soft corals will not be open to their full beauty. Diving a site at just the right (tidal) time will provide you with an experience you won’t forget! Matangi Island Resort’s dive staff has been diving these waters for many years, and know the best dive sites to visit based on the tides and weather.
Matangi offers shore dives and snorkeling off the resort’s front beach. Unlimited complimentary shore diving is available with a 5 day/10 tank pre-paid dive package.
Matangi Resort Diving Facts
- Matangi Private Island Resort owns its dive operation
- PADI Dive Resort certified, Matangi Island Resort PADI#S-36024
- All divemasters and dive Guides are PADI certified DiveMasters or higher
Diving Offered at Matangi Resort:
- two (2) morning dives (standard)
- optional shore & night dive on request
- minimum 1 diver required for boat dives
- unlimited shore diving available with 5 day/10 tank pre-paid dive package
- crew will dive with you if you require a dive buddy for a shore dive
- maximim 6 divers per dive guide
- Matangi does not allow diving alone
- 8 – 20 minutes from resort to dive sites
Matangi’s Dive Boats:
- Matangi Diver, 8.5m
- Gukitai – 8m (no head)
- both boats are covered plate aluminum custom built dive boat to Australian marine standard specs, 200 horsepower engine, head, VHF marine radio, GPS navigation, EPRB, basic first aid kit, emergency oxygen kit, life vests
- Dive Equipment:
- tanks included in price
- Full rental gear available at additional cost including BCD, regulator, 3mm shorty wetsuit, fins, masks, snorkel, flashlight, lead weights, weight belt
For Underwater Photographers & Videographers:
- Rinse tanks
- DVD burning
- 110 volt charging station
- special guide
Fiji Muck Diving
Just a few yards from the dive shop you can find giant clams, numerous live shells, nudibranchs, several varieties of shrimps and small crabs, garden eels, and if your really paying attention, a Cockatoo wasp fish, frogfish and an occasional rare seahorse.
The diving in front of the dive shop at Matangi is truly an underated “muck dive”, a worthwhile and easy dive for little critter lovers, underwater photographers and videographers
Search the sand, coral rubble and seagrass for well-camouflaged marine life. You and your guide will find critters ranging from colorful nudibranchs to ghost pipefish disguised as leaves.
Unlimited complimentary shore diving is available with a 5 day/10 tank pre-paid dive package.
Fiji Diving Instruction
New to diving? PADI’s Discover Scuba and PADI Open Water Diver courses are available at Matangi and include dive instructor and free use of the dive equipment.
Other PADI dive courses including PADI Advanced Open Water, PADI Open Water Referral and Refresherdive courses can also be arranged.
If you are considering taking a scuba course, please check with us in advance of your trip, to allow the resort proper time to prepare for your arrival.
Scuba Diving Schedule
Matangi Resort organizes 2 tank boat dives every morning.
Additional boat dives can be arranged in the afternoon as can night dives and guided beach dives/shore dives in front of the resort.